Wednesday 28 March 2018

My Pal Baggy Pants lets the train take the strain [from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog]


In September 2009, we took the most famous of all the Little Trains of Wales, from the former slate quarries of Snowdonia down to the coast on Cardigan Bay. Originally, the trains carrying slate for export through the port were gravity operated down to Porthmadog. Horses then hauled the empties back inland.

I had obviously thought long and hard about my garb for the day before settling on baggy pants. My Pal Baggy Pants was a comic strip character in the Dandy. I think it would be considered very un-PC today, but it would hardly be alone. It was of its time.

Rescued by Alan Pegler in 1951, the Ffestiniog Railway has since become a major tourist attraction. The Welsh Highland Railway, owned by the same company and operating trains to Caernarfon, has reconnected with the FR to create a steam railway hub on the quayside at Porthmadog.

My baggy walking trousers are still available to me in my wardrobe should the occasion demand it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment