Friday 16 March 2018

I like to ride my bicycle [sometimes]


It’s official. Cycling is good for us oldies. Last week, the BBC reported that tests have shown that cycling boosts your immune system when you get older. Hardly surprising, I guess. Hopefully other forms of exercise also help, but good news nevertheless.

I must admit to being a fair-weather cyclist – actually, make that a warm day, no precipitation of any kind and virtually no wind, sort of cyclist. Even then, it’s usually just down to the main street in the village, which is barely five minutes away even on foot.

I do feel a bit hemmed in by some very busy main roads around here, though I know that sounds like I’m already making excuses. However, my cycling friends on the Wirral have two very distinct advantages. The first is a coastal, largely traffic-free cycle-way that very nearly circumnavigates the peninsula, thanks in part to the Wirral Way, the former track bed of the West Kirby to Hooton railway line.

Secondly, the Merseyside Passenger Travel Executive provides free rail travel for seniors and their bikes, allowing easier access to North Wales, rural Cheshire and even the flat bits behind Liverpool. I’m sure they know how lucky they are.

Anyway, I’m off to the gym now, which is all of four miles away. Not very green but I think I’ll take the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment