Sunday 4 March 2018

More than just a glitch


A “sudden or temporary malfunction” didn’t really do it justice. It was totally stuffed. Computers [and cars] are great when they are working and a pain when they are not. I can barely believe that I had become so dependent on it.

The last one turned out to be what my mother would have described as “a pig in a poke.” I took it back where it came from in the Victoria shopping centre and they eventually offered me a replacement. This used to be the Great Central Railway’s Victoria station in the centre of Nottingham. Below it, a vast car park fills the space where the trains once ran. At street level, only the clock tower remains. From the depths of the car park, you can see the entrance to the tunnel that took the GCR northwards under Mansfield Road.

The railway was soon diving into a tunnel beneath Thurland Street at the southern end of the station, too. It burst out into daylight at Weekday Cross, a much photographed and frequently painted location [by the admirable Rob Rowland, amongst others] adjacent to the Broad Marsh and High Pavement, where the Contemporary art gallery now stands.

I enjoy gradually piecing together my mental jigsaw of Nottingham’s railway past, picturing in my mind’s eye the scenes that I missed while growing up over a hundred miles away. With my new computer now up and running, I’m comforted that my journeys to the city are rarely wasted in my imaginary world, either.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment