Saturday 30 May 2020

Dreaming of Wolverhampton


It sounds unlikely, perhaps, but I did. I only went there once - on my own [I think] on 4/8/62. I had missed a visit to Stafford Road works and sheds that my friends had made a short time before, and I wanted to “catch up” on some of the stuff they had seen. I had no permits, so I spent a few hours on Low Level station and then came home, travelling both ways on the through trains between Birkenhead and London Paddington, via Shrewsbury and Chester.
These trains reversed at Chester, but certainly did not always leave from the bay platforms closest to the entrance that were used for most GW line destinations. The Western diesel is shown leaving for Paddington from the main down platform in September 1962, whereas the 2-6-4 tank has brought a Paddington special train into the bay in 1967, after regular services on the route had finished. Sometimes the through platform on the far side of the station had been preferred for these services.
It was certainly a productive day out. I saw 3 Counties, 12 Castles, 5 Kings [cabbing 6014], 1 Manor, 3 Granges and 17 Halls. The writing was already on the wall, however, as 3 Western diesels also put in an appearance and within a few months all the Kings had gone. Dream on, I say.



No comments:

Post a Comment