Monday 1 June 2020

On the bank at Toton


Considering it is such an operational rail hub, I’ve been there very infrequently over the years. I went round the depot on an open day, decades ago now, and I have stood on the bank overlooking the up sidings only once since then.
When I reached what I had imagined from memory would be an uninterrupted view of the site, I found that it was completely hidden behind a screen of trees and bushes. Having eventually found the path that leads from the end of the approach road, there was a good view of the shed yard and the large collection of out of service Class 60s, most of which are stored in two long lines on the up sidings.
There are various enthusiasts’ websites available that list what one should be able to see from there, as by no means all the numbers are visible. Not all the online information is up to date, however. For example, this year No. 60006 has been scrapped and two other locomotives, also formerly listed as having been present, were sold to the Wensleydale Railway.     




No comments:

Post a Comment