Thursday 10 January 2019

Taking the Night Train


We slept on board Amtrak trains when crossing America. Someone described it as like sleeping on a shelf in a cupboard and though I didn’t actually sleep that much I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The strongest memory is of the mournful hooting from the diesel locomotive as it approached every single road crossing, accompanied by the “ting, tinging” of the fixed warning bells gradually fading away.

I’ve never used the sleeping car service in Britain, either the Penzance version from Paddington or overnight to the Highlands of Scotland. It is on my “to do” list. Simon Bradley has reminded me that “…what makes sleeping and awakening on these trains so special is the promise of magical translation to an utterly different place.” [The Railways, p.252]

In the early 1970s, I took an all-line rail rover for a week with the intention of spending more or less the whole time on the move. After my first overnight trip from Paddington to Plymouth on the sleeper train at the end of day one - on the cushions and not in bed - I “woke” with such a banging headache that it took days to shake off. I crawled home to the prized comfort of my own bed each night thereafter.

What I remember most at first light in the West Country is watching rabbits through an early morning mist - not just a few rabbits but millions of them. The west of England is rabbit city.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment