Monday 21 January 2019

Cromford, 2016



“Shall I take some pictures?” “Yes, please.” After all, Cromford station is a Grade II listed building and we don’t get here that often. I was not thinking about the building. I was casting my mind back more than 60 years.

I was whisked through this station when it was a double-track main line, on our two family holidays staying with my aunt in deepest Leicestershire. It would have been a Manchester Central to St Pancras steam-hauled express - a Patriot or a Jubilee. Why didn’t I start taking the numbers earlier? “You are still living in the 1960s.” “It was the late 50s”, I added, wistfully, still staring into space.

We walked the short and picturesque section of the Cromford canal as far as High Peak Junction. “This was a line I never got around to. They had those chunky J94s, the same as on Bidston sheds.”

I suddenly got the feeling that it was time for lunch. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment