Friday 5 October 2018

Travelling Light


A twentieth century incumbent at Dudmaston [NT], in Shropshire, was a British ambassador abroad, taking nineteen suitcases in three taxis each time he and his wife went off on official jaunts - though, admittedly, they would have expected to be away for some time.

I had also been a little surprised to see folk bringing fairly large cases onto our Icelandair flights last month. I had thought that cabin bags were limited to very specific dimensions these days. Not all air lines apparently, so we had the added entertainment of some very substantial cases being put in overhead lockers. Cabin crew on Icelandair must have some very well-developed biceps.

I thought back to when we went on family holidays by train as children. I carried a rucksack but Mum and Dad had leather suitcases with metal clasps and locks. Often such items were also strapped up, as though there was little confidence that they could otherwise take the strain. Our taxi dropped us off on the station concourse at Birkenhead Woodside, Liverpool Lime Street or Exchange, where it was easy to attract the attention of a porter, who Dad would tip, once the cases were up on the luggage rack.

As youth hostellers in the 60s and 70s, we could live out of a rucksack for weeks at a time. Today, I’m reassured that having checked wallet, glasses, pills and keys, I could readily acquire while I am away anything else I might have forgotten to pack. Even so, we still usually take too much stuff on holiday with us. I confidently predict that the next time I buy a suitcase it will be smaller still.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment