Tuesday 10 October 2017

Signalling my intentions


In the normal run of things, a ten mile walk with friends would have been a fairly effortless affair and a day out to look forward to. Nowadays, it has become rather more onerous. What has changed is knee cartilage, or more specifically, lack of it. In fact, there is none left.

I play 5-a-side on Thursday, badminton on Friday and we walk on Saturday. I really need a full day’s recovery time between each venture, but, of course, I don’t set the agenda. I’m OK for about 5 miles until the picnic lunch stop, after which everyone else gets packed up again for part two to the pub and part three, back to the cars.

My knees then demand that I leave them behind at the picnic site. They fail to obey orders to stand up and look sharp. When I try to whip them into shape for the p.m. session they start muttering under their breath about “no more stiles” and “no more steps down.”

As it happens, the track bed of the old Midland Railway mineral line from Teversal, via Tibshelf, to Westhouses, where it used to join the main line, is almost flat and stile free. That does not prevent me from starting to lag behind. My fellow ramblers make polite enquiries about my well-being. “OK, thanks, just my knees,” I reply.

Choose your sports carefully, was the advice from my GP when the problem first arose, and prior to key-hole surgery to hoover out the detritus from behind the knee cap. Sensibly, that would mean dropping footy and badminton. I’m not ready for that. They are the fun ones. I’ll just do shorter walks - in fact, maybe they will come and pick me up from the pub when they have completed their ridiculously lengthy treks. [Sorry, that was just my knees talking again.]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment