Wednesday 22 February 2023

The Allure of Steam

James Lawson is, I suspect, a more than useful cricketer. Little does he know that I once scored 36 for the school second XI. Plus, he whooped me so frequently on the badminton court that I had to eventually walk away, moaning about bad knees. Not content with all that, he has followed me to the swimming pool, where he powers down the adjacent fast lane, splashing water in my face at every opportunity.

James went on holiday to a country I’ve never been to [Barbados] and sent me a photo of a steam loco I’ve never seen, on a railway that I knew nothing about. I promptly overlooked it. There’s only so much a man can take. Now he’s muscling in on my one remaining area of expertise. If I encourage him, in no time at all he’ll be writing books about trains that actually sell. Not content with my measly excuse about losing his message, he sent it to me again. There is no escape. I promised a blog. It’s the least and best I could do.

The first Barbados Railway was a late nineteenth century venture to carry sugar cane to Bridgetown. It closed in 1937 and is now a footpath and cycleway. The St Nicholas Abbey Heritage Railway is a much more recent affair than its name suggests. The 1.5km, 2’ 6” gauge line connects the Abbey to Cherry Tree Hill and has been operating only since 2019. The tourist line runs in the grounds of a complex that includes the main house, a plantation, a steam-driven mill and a rum distillery. 

No. 5 is Tjepper, 4 cylinder, 0-4-4-0T articulated German Mallet built by Jung in 1914. It was rescued from a sugar plantation line in Java and found its way to the Statfold Barn Railway in 2009, where it was rebuilt before its arrival in Barbados.

James would no doubt be able to tell the story in much more detail than this but I just thought I’d get in first while I still can.


No comments:

Post a Comment