Wednesday 22 April 2020

The GWR Grange Class


I find that I did not take any photos of Granges, or at least none that have survived. Even I had a cut-off point, it appears, beyond which a photo was not worth keeping. John Dyer collected a few shots of the class and the ones shown here are both handling freight trains. No. 6857 Tudor Grange is shown at Chester in 1962 and No. 6813 Eastbury Grange is entering Shrewsbury station in 1964, with the unmistakeable Abbey Foregate signalbox visible behind the train.

I loved going to both of these stations in the days of steam. I was so preoccupied with the trains that I don’t think I realised at the time that Shrewsbury station was adjacent to a proper old castle or that it crossed the River Severn at this point. Call yerself a geographer? I am grateful, as always, to John Dyer for permission to use his photos in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment