Friday 17 February 2017

Dumbing Down


In August 1965, my sister and I stayed for a week with our uncle in Winchester. It was tagged on to the end of our fortnight’s family holiday in Somerset, after our parents had travelled back home. My uncle wanted to entertain us in the direction of a spot of cultural improvement. I just wanted to spend the whole week on Winchester City station [as it was then known to distinguish it from Chesil] - apart from a short trip to Eastleigh, obviously.

He did manage to persuade me to accompany him to Portchester Castle but I think I won on all the other days. Culture could wait, but the Bullied Pacifics couldn’t. They would all be gone within a couple of years, so I couldn’t hang around. That is, I mean, I needed to hang around quite a lot, actually.
Battle of Britain Pacific No. 34090 Sir Eustace Missenden at Winchester, Waterloo bound on 11/8/65.

No comments:

Post a Comment