Thursday 16 February 2017

A custard slice in Llanelli


It’s funny the things you remember. I know I bought a custard slice at a high street confectioners in Llanelli on 25/6/65. This was unremarkable, I know. Actually, I bought them more or less wherever I went when I was young, even graduating to mille-feuille, when we took regular family holidays to France in the 1990s, and by that time, I was quite grown-up.

The main purpose of our trip in June 1965 was to go around some South Wales sheds – Newport Ebbw Junction, Cardiff Canton, Cardiff East Dock and Llanelli, as well as Barry docks scrapyard. We stayed overnight at St Athan youth hostel. This is the stamp from Ian’s YHA card.
It was my second visit to Barry, so I didn’t cop that much. The two-day trip by train from Liverpool Lime Street was also notable because we saw Standard Class 9F No. 92220 Evening Star on East Dock sheds.  
This is my only surviving picture from the two-day break. It shows [just] Merchant Navy Class No. 35025 Brocklebank Line on a murky day at Barry. Llanelli sheds proved to be a bit disappointing with only 10 ex-GWR tanks and a Brush Type 4 to show for the extra miles west – apart from the custard slice. We might have been better off checking out other locations closer to Cardiff, but hey-ho! - win a few lose a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment