Wednesday 18 January 2017

Stafford Railwayana Auction, 14/1/17.


My three visits to Stafford, at a rate of roughly one every twenty years, have all been whistle-stop affairs. We called in at the sheds [5C] as part of an intensive cycling expedition on 12/4/64, having already bunked round Wellington [84H] on our way from Shrewsbury youth hostel to Rudyard Lake. With Stoke [5D] ahead of us to fit into a busy day, we could not have hung around any longer than it took to jot down - D267, 73026, D320, 42267, 45622 Nyasaland, 42970, 45344, 47590, 48255, D2221, 47518, 92016, D5009, 42104, 42186, D2385, 45660 Rooke, 42066, 47665, 42488, 47359, 47622, 47598, 45110, 45572 Eire.

We called in with friends more recently, staying long enough on that occasion to sit down and have a coffee and admire the former cinema in the town centre that has been converted into a pub, as part of the JD Wetherspoon chain. It’s good to see old buildings receiving a new lease of life in a way that preserves many of their original internal features.

True to form, then, on Saturday I arrived almost half way through proceedings at Blessed William Howard Catholic School. I looked him up when I got home. He had been executed as a traitor in 1680. Apparently King Charles II [King Class No. 6009] had “tears in his eyes” when he [supposedly reluctantly] signed the death warrant – but obviously not enough tears to prevent him from seeing what he was doing. The Catholic church beatified William Howard in 1929.

A big sign attached to the wall told me that I was in the right place and another with equally large lettering pointed me towards the Sixth Form Centre Sports Hall, which had its own notice, “No ball games,” though that seemed a little contradictory. There were signs everywhere and that was even before I had ventured inside.

Round the next corner, I was faced with a chalk board promising “Hot Roast Pulled Pork,” from a van claiming, “Good food to go. Food is where the heart is.” The very jovial auctioneer allowed everyone plenty of time to sample it during the lengthy lunch break that I was just in time for.

There were some splendid plates on offer, however, including the cab-side from the first of the ex-GWR Hall Class No. 4900 Saint Martin, an impressive string of totems from the Newton Abbot to Kingswear line and the ex-Manchester United footballer Gordon Hill’s personal seat back.

“World records will fall,” was the aside shared with me by one of Stafford Railwayana Auction’s official assistants. This failed to happen, though, in the case of vehicle registration plates CPT 1, which did not meet an obviously hefty reserve.

Before I left, my attention was drawn to a school notice board with a quote from Muhammad Ali, “Don’t count the days. Make the days count.” There was also a “who’s who” display for the Sixth Form Management Team that included a Student Leader of Catholicity. Nor was my day of signs quite over. One more that caught my eye on the way home was the Old Knotty Way in Uttoxeter.

I wondered if Muhammad Ali and the current Student Leader of Catholicity would approve of the use that I had made of my time on Saturday. Re-visiting Stafford and investigating an auction venue that was new to me probably came into the plus column, but, on the other hand, I could have been in trouble in some quarters for forgetting to take my mobile phone and my sun glasses with me, yet again.  

Mike Roche, Mike Priestley, Ian Hughes and Rick Irvine on another cycling and youth hostelling adventure a year after our visit to Stafford, this time reaching Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford, in April 1965.

No comments:

Post a Comment