Wednesday 11 January 2017

Blue, blue, electric blue


When I was 13, my dad took me on a Merseyside Civic Society visit to Edge Hill signalbox and the new Allerton electric depot in Liverpool. Here we are in the cab of one of the new blue electrics. Note the bobble hat and anorak with sew-on badges. I made my fashion statement early on and never looked back. Being a trend setter and fashion icon from such an early age has obviously kept me on my toes - but so far, so good.
I was not desperately pleased to see electric locomotives taking over former steam turns on the London expresses but I went on to cop all 200 of them anyway. I waited another four years or so after I had been first introduced to them to even bother taking a photo of one. E3096 was standing in the north end bay platform at Crewe station on 3/1/66. It was probably during the early afternoon quiet spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment