Monday 5 December 2022

Before the Sunday Roast

Between our visits on Sunday 12th November and Sunday 3rd December 1967, the last remaining steam locomotives at Birkenhead Mollington Street depot disappeared – all 47 of them that had been present just three weeks before. It’s an understatement that we were somewhat disappointed with that state of affairs. The penny had dropped. Our beloved steamies were gone for ever. After Birkenhead sheds on a Sunday morning, I cycled home to the predictable - and in fact, never-changing - roast lamb dinner that my mum always described as “the joint”.

Fifty-five years later, plus one day, I travelled to a viewpoint opposite Toton depot, with the single-minded purpose of looking out for diesel locomotives – successors to the breeds that I had been so disappointed to see had taken over all those years ago. I then drove home for a veggie sausage sandwich. Some things change. Some things stay the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment