Saturday 31 December 2022

Barry Docks Gallery

New Year’s Eve fifty-five years ago was cold, bright and breezy with intermittent showers. It was, I suppose, something of a pilgrimage that we were on. We had no idea how significant this place would eventually become for the heritage railway sector. I had been there previously in 1964 and 1965, so the scene of apparent abandonment was actually very familiar to me. If one felt inclined to clamber on to the roof of a rusting steam loco’, one might as well choose a King as there were two available to choose from. My only slight irritation in the longer term was that the Warship Class D600 Active was withdrawn from service on this very day and was destined to be scrapped at Barry some time afterwards, to remain as the only Warship I never saw.






















No comments:

Post a Comment