Friday 10 July 2020

Probably the most boring railway photo in the world

- though, I realise that there is already some competition in that category within my own collection. This one shows a bridge parapet on the road leading into Rainworth from the White Post roundabout. It is disappearing beneath vegetation and on the other side of the road its twin has vanished long ago. I nearly failed to notice it in passing, myself, and I had to double back to take my photo, having suddenly realised that it represented a gap in my mental map of the old colliery lines in the area.
This was the bridge over the spur connecting the Blidworth colliery branch to the Mansfield to Southwell line. It looped round to join that route in a south to east connection at Blidworth Junction, allowing coal from the pit to be taken straight towards Nottingham, via Fiskerton Junction. Moving on, I turned towards Blidworth and came across Nightjar Way, close to the former colliery site. Though nightjars are still regular summer visitors to the area, they will be giving this particular venue a miss since all these new houses have been built on their patch.




No comments:

Post a Comment