Wednesday 27 March 2019

Love Her


When the death of Scott Walker was announced this week, "Love Her" filled my head again, just as it had done in 1965 and for some considerable time afterwards. It is not their best-known hit but it remains my favourite. It is tender, sad and haunting and it suited my circumstances just fine that summer.

It filled my head because that was what it was intended to do. It was a Phil Spector inspired, “Wall of Sound” number, like the Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feelin’”, and it just had to be played loud. Written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, it peaked at number 20 in the singles chart in June 1965. I only ever bought a handful of singles before moving on to LPs, but that one got played as much as The Animals’ “Don’t Bring Me Down” and Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over”.

You may have noticed a certain melancholy setting in here that’s not entirely coincidental. However, if it wasn’t going too well in that department, there was always football and, of course, trains - by bike on Sunday mornings to Birkenhead sheds. I could put my emotions on hold for an hour, or so, in this sulphurous fog. Railways softened the blow from disappointment elsewhere.


I picked up the Walker Brothers CD yesterday to play in the car. I opened the case, inserted the disc and pressed play. Christmas Carols!!! My grandson of two years has been kindly tidying away my CDs again. I’ll find it soon. Then I’ll thank Scott Walker once more for his rich and tuneful voice, his choice of material and his timely intervention during my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment