Friday 15 February 2019

Nailing my colours


For a very short time in the early 60s, our school ran its own version of Juke Box Jury. I was asked to be a panellist. From memory, I thought that we were still in the fags - first year at big school and described at the time as the third form. History reveals otherwise. I must have been in class MVC, which stood for middle-fifths [and comparative thickos section]. It is now known as year 10, unless it has changed again.

They played the new Rolling Stones song. I fancy that it was “I wanna be your man” but it could just have been “Not fade away”. The Stones were suddenly all the rage amongst the lads who were most fashionable and in the know. I was neither, but I also felt honour-bound to defend the Beatles against all comers, so I slagged it off. I was lambasted by my peers and the audience. I felt thoroughly humiliated, in the way that is only possible when you are fourteen.

I wasn’t asked again and I wouldn’t have gone near it, had it ever been mentioned. Though I’ve seen and enjoyed the Stones in concert since, I remain a Beatles man to this day. I still think that “I wanna be your man” was a weak song. The Stones had yet to show what they were capable of. 

The railway society met in a different room in the same building. I felt safer there. I was back in my comfort zone. Trains did not answer back. In the same year, John Dyer took this picture in Duke Street, Birkenhead. I should have just gone down to the docks on my bike with my camera after school, instead of mouthing off.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment