Saturday 9 September 2017

Tinsley


The place name “Tinsley” does nothing for me. I am talking about locomotive sheds, here. Exmouth Junction, Templecombe, Crewe North and Croes Newydd all conjure up such warm memories – all anticipation and adrenalin. I can picture each one in my mind’s eye. I can walk down the roads between the locomotives again and recapture the moment.

I feel a little apologetic about it but, actually, Tinsley leaves me cold. It was built in 1965, as a diesel depot. This is not Tinsley’s fault and as cities go, I like Sheffield, too [Tinsley is in Sheffield].

The reasons are:

[a] it was built in 1965 [modern, functional design - very 60s and too late to be of much interest, from a railway architecture point of view]

[b] it was a diesel depot [no steam]

It closed in 1998 and I didn’t care at all. However, I did go there for an open day in May 1988 because there was at least one steam locomotive present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment