Sunday 27 August 2017

Fashion Icon


It all started with my train spotter’s anorak and bobble hat, of course, but by the time this shot was taken, at Lakeside Station on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, in September 1977, I’d moved on to cagoule and flares.


Equally well turned out on the day was one of the two LHR ex-LMS Fairburn 2-6-4 tanks No. 2073. She was carrying an ex-LNWR blackberry black livery, whereas her compatriot No. 2085, in the yard at Haverthwaite, was way-out in Caledonian Railway blue – so avant-garde.

Later on, I had a shell-suit. I jettisoned that when I realised that I was the only person on the over-night ferry to France that was still wearing one. I think I left it in the cabin when we disembarked in the morning.

I know that my trend-setting days are behind me now, though I still leave them open-mouthed down at the pub with my trade-mark, grey woolly socks and sandals combo. The Fairburns are also keeping things a bit more low-key these days, predictably lined-out in in BR black.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment