Thursday 8 June 2017

Fully Booked


When I went to America for the first time I took with me Bill Bryson’s book, “Made in America.” How clever of me, to choose something so suitable to read on my holiday, I thought, in a rather self-congratulatory way. I did not even get around to reading the first page. America was far too interesting to find the time to read books. I read it on my return, instead.



When in a library, as in a book shop, I gravitate towards railway books and humour. I will also skim read the newspaper and magazine headlines and dip into their lead articles. I read quickly and for overall meaning rather than descriptive detail.



With books, however, I also increasingly take note of other people’s mistakes. Since self-publishing my own articles and books, I know how easy it is for errors to make it through the various levels of scrutiny to the printed page. I find it reassuring when others mess up, too.



As a teenager, I made a special friend of the librarian at our local library. I was an avid user of that service. Yet, my Ian Allan abc books and the railway timetables were picked up more frequently than anything else. I loved those substantial BR timetable volumes, all printed in their regional colours, and I replaced winter editions with the summer versions as soon as they became available. I had to have examples of both the maroon London Midland Region and the Great Western Region in its rich chocolate brown cover. This was because we lived on the cusp, surrounded by the LMR, but also, through the presence of Birkenhead Woodside, at the northern extremity of the WR system.    



I pored over the new timetables. I imagined journeys that I knew I would never make and some more realistic ones closer to home that I certainly would. I read through the lists of station names from unfamiliar parts of the country and marvelled at the magic that they hinted at - places like Brymbo, Strata Florida and Vulcan Halt.



When I last walked down the aisles of one of those large out of town electrical goods retailers, I left behind the familiar fridges, kettles, cameras and tellies and soon found myself in a different world. I did not recognise the expensive gadgetry on show, nor did I understand what the labels said about them. It looked, on the face of it, like it was in English, but none of it made sense and there were new words there that I had never seen before. I stared at the contents through the Perspex packaging, but it was not clear to me where it plugged in, what it would be attached to, or what its function was.



“Would you like any help, sir?” came the enquiry. “No, leave me alone,” might have been my stifled reply, though I made do with a polite smile, accompanied by a shake of the head. I had no intention at all of exhibiting my abject ignorance to a schoolboy doing a Saturday job. I turned around and walked towards the door until I was back with the hair dryers and toasters. Then I knew that I was relatively safe from any further potential embarrassment.

The last time we were in Liverpool, we visited the newly refurbished Central Library, one of a line of three imposing Victorian public buildings in the William Brown Street Conservation Area, sitting opposite the equally magnificent St George’s Hall, just below Lime Street station. They have made a fine job of it, keeping all the best bits, like the circular Picton reading room, whilst opening out the central space inside the main entrance with a series of mezzanine levels joined by prominent stairways, all culminating in a dramatic glass dome and with roof access providing views over the city.



I gravitated towards the local history section, where I found a multitude of books about Merseyside that I did not know existed, many of them self-published efforts, like my own. I find it refreshing that stock buyers take a punt on self-published books. Some library services won’t go near them with a barge-pole, fearing schoolboy errors and amateurish presentation. They have a point. Authors of books aimed at niche markets can’t necessarily afford the services of professional publishers, proof readers or literary agents. Unless they have been extremely careful, therefore, they lay themselves open to inevitable criticism. It is the easiest thing in the world to overlook a basic error, how ever many times you read the proof. Although I’m tempted to trawl through such books for their cock-ups, I’m actually very pleased they are there. They give voice to those who would otherwise remain unheard, yet the stories and observations that they contain are brimming with experience, insight, closely observed familiarity and an abundant affection for their city. They are rough diamonds granted the opportunity to rub shoulders with literary masters. Their inclusion in such a prestigious location takes foresight from the decision makers. It does not surprise me that in Liverpool they are given full rein.   



Like most old spotters, I have my own library of railway books. It only amounts to a couple of shelves and every now and then I have a bit of a cull there, too. It is amazing how selective I have become, as there are obviously so many different options to choose from.



The ones that I have chosen for myself are histories of the two parts of the country I have lived in, plus a few other favourite places I have visited. Added to those are the railwayana section and the albums of photographs and paintings of steam locomotives. Apart from my old notebooks and abc pocket books, that is about it.



I have a few reliable stand-bys that I return to time and time again. They include, Rails Along the Sea Wall, by Peter Kay, my summer 1962 combined volume, Paddington to the Mersey, by Dr R. Preston Hendry and R. Powell Hendry and Summer Saturdays in the West, by Simon St John Thomas and Simon Rocksborough Smith. They are my escapist books, the ones that I rely on, periodically, to whisk me away to another place and another time. They provide reminiscences and reflective moments - a Tardis for my more wistful days.



[Adapted from an article in the current edition of the Railway Antiques Gazette, with thanks to the editor, Tim Petchey.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment