Monday 8 May 2017

Summer, Seventy. Sun, Sea - and lots of lovely Sand


It’s August 1970 and Ian has just come down by train to join the lads’ Cornwall hostelling holiday, hopping off at Hayle. A Western diesel powers through with a Penzance to Paddington express. It is too quick, both for me and my camera. We are staying the night at Phillack youth hostel and spending much of the day on the nearby sands.

Hayle and St Ives may face each other over the estuary but they are like chalk and cheese. St Ives must be one of the most scenic and fascinating of all British seaside resorts, Hayle, by comparison, rather dull, once away from the beach.

We had our dune jumping competition there, however, running seawards towards the crest, launching off and falling into soft sand. I don’t think that I’ve ever been airborne under my own power for a longer period of time on any occasion since then, though I have occasionally been known to fly by the seat of my pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment