Wednesday 21 December 2016

The Semis


I’d seen all 38 Princess Coronation Pacifics by the time I was 14. I’ve never tired of seeing them since. I went off to Newark this morning to renew my acquaintance with No. 46233 Duchess of Sutherland. I notice from my notes that I actually “cabbed” her on Edge Hill sheds on 16/11/63.

They are magnificent machines. She purred past us, looking and sounding in fine fettle and no doubt endeavouring to make up the 4 minutes I was told that she was down on her booked time passing through Grantham.

I’ve never been part of this east coast/west coast rivalry in the way that some of the older railwaymen were, but if I had to choose between a semi and a streak, it would have to be a semi, simply because they were what we grew up with. They were our special engines.

She is due back at 18.00, southbound. I might just go and see her again.
Coronation Pacific No. 46233 Duchess of Sutherland approaches Sleaford road bridge, just south of Newark Northgate station with a Cambridge to York special train, 21/12/16.

No comments:

Post a Comment