Monday 22 February 2016

Hope you like the catchy title for my blog


I used to be a teacher, but I now spend much of my time writing, a choice that might raise an eyebrow amongst my old school friends. With my grade 9 fail for English literature at “O” level behind me, I had hardly announced my eventual activity of choice very convincingly. I hadn’t read the set text - though I had seen it dramatised on telly, so I thought I might just scrape by. I think it was Great Expectations, which, although they were obviously somewhat misplaced in this instance, just about summed up my approach. I’m hoping that I have upped my game during the intervening half century or so.



Instead of revising for exams, and when I wasn’t playing football, I went train spotting. In so doing, I sowed the seeds for a lifelong interest in railways. However, it was still an accident of history that started me off as a writer. I inherited a splendid collection of previously unpublished Victorian photographs that survived from the Priestley family business [1856-1938]. Years earlier, I had promised my dad that I would eventually make a book out of them, which I did, and I dedicated it to his memory. I was then on a roll which took me straight back to the trains, as I remembered them in the 1960’s.

I’m going to use my blog to defend our hobby from trivialisation and promote our fine railway heritage, but I will no doubt also be drawn in to commenting on changes to both the current preservation set-up and the national network. I will concentrate my efforts on my areas of special interest – steam locomotives, railway art and the railwayana scene in general. I’m also keen to discuss how we can most effectively tell the story of Britain’s railways to future generations, in museums, out on the tracks and in the media.  

No comments:

Post a Comment