Tuesday 22 August 2023

Kidderminster station [SVR]

They’ve made such a good job of it. The south facing concourse - so well-lit by natural light yet sheltered by an over-all canopy - is enclosed on three sides and faces the platforms and buffer stops. Built in 1984 in a late Victorian style, it was based on the design for Ross-on-Wye, which opened in 1890.

Sitting on a pillar box red, ex-Post Office platform trolley to eat my sandwich, I felt perfectly at home surrounded by GWR-style paraphernalia and signage. It provides a very pleasing ambience. The SVR gives every impression of fighting back positively after Covid and its well-publicised financial problems. I’m hoping that by the time of my next visit they are even flush enough to provide the refreshment room with a modern coffee machine worthy of such a description. It would be one deviation from the convincing 1890s theme that I would be prepared to accept.







No comments:

Post a Comment