Thursday 24 November 2022

Not Leamington Spa

I was so enthused by the impressive take off of my latest book – 5 sales in the first month since publication - that my thoughts obviously turned to a sequel. What would it be? Still on Track?  Making Further Tracks? In preparation, I made a list of places that I wanted to go to that were a little further from home. They would be stations that I had never been to or only passed through, including a few that I had always wanted to visit. I could also spend some time on stations where I had previously changed trains while on my way somewhere else. At the top of my list was Leamington Spa, the reasons for which will remain a closely guarded secret until I have fulfilled my mission.

I try to ensure that my train trips coincide with times that Chris is also likely to be out all day. Today was such a day. It was pouring down, but the forecast was much brighter for lunchtime and beyond. It was also six degrees and the rain was diagonal if not horizontal by the time that I reached Lowdham station for the 9.54 to Derby. There are two bus shelter affairs on Lowdham station, but the one on the Nottingham platform is open at the sides and so it offers little protection against driving rain. I decided to wait on the Newark platform until a few minutes before departure time.

A slip of a girl wearing a hoody called to me from across the lines to check that she was on the right side for Nottingham, which I assured her was the case. The warning sounded for the barriers to drop. I legged it off the platform, so as not to be caught “wrong side” when the train arrived. I was too late. The road was closed to road traffic for the whole day anyway at the level crossing, and there were two high-viz’ Network Rail men sheltering from the rain in their van. I was stuffed. How embarrassing - I would be stuck wrong side watching my train go off to Derby without me. Then Class 70 No. 70813 came through very briskly with oil tanks, and a bug cart shot through in the other direction towards Newark. The gates opened and I realised I had not missed my train after all, though surely it was due by now - and I was quite wet by this stage.

The girl in the shelter said she was freezing, in answer to my greeting. I said our train must be due and she looked up from the noisy but otherwise obviously magnetic action on her phone - which up to that point had received her undivided attention - to tell me that it was currently eighteen minutes late. I felt a shade deflated to be put right by someone who wasn’t even sure if she was on the right platform for her train. I could have checked this out myself, had a risked getting my phone wet in order to consult Realtime Trains. That was how I had wrecked my last mobile phone, though. I tried not to look too sheepish. I had already missed my connection at Derby for Leamington Spa, for which a mere ten minutes transfer was allowed. My plans for the day were in ruins. “I think I’ll give it a miss, today”, I said, as I made for my car. “Don’t blame you”, replied the hooded figure, barely raising her eyes from the screen. 

As I drove home, I thought about why I had given up so easily. Who knows how the day would have panned out had I pressed on. It could have been a magical mystery tour. As alternatives, I could easily have spent the day at Derby or Leicester, instead. Where was my ability for lateral thinking? Where was my appetite to make the best of a bad job? As it happened, I was no sooner home again, than there were fairly urgent requests on my time in my parental and grandparental capacity and, as always, I was happy to be able to help. Nevertheless, I didn’t know that at the time I made my decision to abort my mission. I really must galvanise myself more readily and, literally, to go off at a tangent sometimes. Perhaps the comfort zone I readily retreat into has become a little too comfortable for my own good. Seize the time! I shouldn’t be wasting it being faint-hearted. On the plus side, I copped 70813 and I’d already made my sandwiches for lunchtime. Then the sun came out. It would have been a good afternoon for photos - low air pressure and clear skies, but hey ho.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment