Monday 15 November 2021

The Blue Electrics

I saw all 200 of these as they became our staple diet out of Liverpool Lime Street. I was in right at the start, as my Dad was a member of the Merseyside Civic Society and they arranged a trip to the new Edge Hill signalbox and the electric depot at Allerton. The photo shows me with Dad in the cab of one of the new locos at Allerton, sporting my light blue bobble hat, which my Mum had knitted for me. I gradually weighed it down with sew-on cloth badges of scenes in the Lake District [Mum again] and then a collection of metal pin badges from youth hostels we had stayed in. I jacked it in when it got too unwieldy and the pins started to rust. It may also have no longer been a trendy item by that time, though that fact could just have passed me by. My track record for sartorial elegance is not great, a characteristic that I have managed to maintain for about 70 years now, though I was only 13 at the time the photo was taken. John Dyer’s pictures show E3010 at Crewe in July 1963, E3027 at Crewe on 22/5/61 and again in July 1963 and E3094 and E3013 at Rugby Midland on 9/5/65.






No comments:

Post a Comment