Saturday 15 May 2021

Cambois

I have to admit that although I’d heard of Cambois, I did not know where it was. I should have done because I’d been there, or very close to it, 55 years ago and on the morning of 26th February 1966, to be precise. Cambois is just north of Blyth. Brian and I had got there to kick off a shed bash that included North Blyth and South Blyth [by taking the little ferry between the two] then Gateshead and Tyne Dock. From memory, we took the metro and the bus and made full use of Aidan Fuller’s shed directory but mostly, I think, that we walked a lot.

After the closure of the steam sheds at Blyth a purpose-built diesel depot was constructed to replace them. It, itself, closed in 1994 after a quarter of a century of operation, hence the nameplate now carried by Class 66 No. 66778 Cambois Depot 25 Years. Yesterday, this loco’ was at the head of the Immingham to Mantle Lane "metals" that was through Rolleston, mid-morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment