Tuesday 27 April 2021

Harry Beck, 1902-74

Clearly, I have a thing about locomotive nameplates, having moaned previously about the less appealing commercial examples plastered on the sides of some modern traction. There are many nameplates that I thoroughly approve of, though. Significant individuals are recognised for doing note-worthy things. Sometimes, I have to admit, I’ve never heard of them but I’m OK with that, too, as it increases my knowledge of some interesting people. Here’s one I like – Harry Beck. I had heard of him before through my attraction to maps. Topological maps reduce unnecessary detail to show only the required information.

Harry Beck worked for London Underground as a draughtsman in the signals’ office and his very recognisable 1930s map of the system was inspired by an electrical circuits diagram. It seems he did not get paid for it because he completed it in his own time and even then, he had to fight to get his contribution rightfully acknowledged. GB Railfreight’s Class 66 No. 66721 is helping to ensure that Harry Beck’s work is not overlooked, including not just the nameplate dedication but a livery with an extract of his famous London Underground map. Nice work, Harry. Nice work, GBRf. 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment