Monday 30 March 2020

Butler-Henderson


John Dyer took his picture of Butler-Henderson in Gorton works, in 1962. I think that this must have been on a Wallasey Grammar School Railway Society visit during the summer holidays, though I don’t have any surviving notes of my own as evidence. I do remember seeing Butler-Henderson at Gorton, though, and I recorded her presence in my brand-new combined volume in the same year. The more recent other photos show her at Loughborough, in May 1992.  

Eric Butler-Henderson was a director of the Great Central Railway and, as such, had one of the company’s express locomotives named after him. His father, Lord Faringdon, was the board’s chairman. The Improved Director Class were elegant 4-4-0s and Butler-Henderson became GCR No. 506 and later BR No. 62660. She was withdrawn from service in 1960 and preserved as part of the National Collection, one of only two ex-GCR types saved from scrapping along with the O4 freight locomotive, No.63601. Both were Robinson designs.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment