Saturday 14 December 2019

And Marie’s the Name


Just one of the things that the internet is useful for is gradually putting me right over the words of songs that I’ve got wrong for decades. I suppose we really only had the song itself to go on, unless you were going to go out and buy sheet music, which would have never crossed my mind. It’s just too embarrassing for words to recount what I have sung to myself since 1961 instead of “And Marie’s the Name” - a phrase which was even more obvious, as I see it now as the bracketed prefix to the title of “His Latest Flame”.

I suppose it reflects the fact that I wasn’t too bothered about lyrics at all in the old days, which was itself a topic of some heated discussions, I seem to remember. It was the tune that mattered most - and the exhilaration of that combination of notes that filled your consciousness along with the mood that the tune brought along in its wake.

The internet brings so much information so quickly that its revolutionised the potential for railway enthusiasm as well. www.realtimetrains.co.uk provides spotters with the information they need on the platform via their phones. www.prorail.co.uk keeps tabs on the railwayana scene and now www.railadvent.co.uk keeps me posted - by the minute almost, though I don’t remember asking it to, about every occurrence out there on the network, or so it seems. My life has changed in so many ways, or more accurately, my life has changed in oh so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment