Wednesday 31 July 2019

The English Riviera Express


My birthday treat from the family was a trip on the English Riviera Express from Bristol Temple Meads to Kingswear on Sunday 7th July. A good day out was had by all.  Here are a few photos of West Country Class No. 34046 Braunton, at Bristol, Kingswear and taking water at Taunton.


I had last stood on the platform at Taunton in the summer of 1963. When the bus taking me into town from our farm house holiday slowed as it approached the underbridge below the station, I descended the stairs and stood on the open platform at the back of the bus. As I was about to alight at what I though was the bus stop, the bus suddenly speeded up again and I fell off into the middle of the road. I picked myself up and scuttled off for a day’s train spotting on the station, along with a few new cuts and bruises, none of which took the shine off seeing half of all the 800 Class Warships and Castle Class No. 7010 Avondale Castle putting in a cameo appearance to round off the day, as steam was eclipsed from main line duties by the WR’s hydraulic diesels.    





No comments:

Post a Comment