Sunday 13 November 2016

Bishop Eric Treacy


When steam disappeared from the national rail network in 1968, I buried my head, as well as my imagination and my indignation – you could say I was sulking – in a series of photo albums, most of which were published by Ian Allan.


Every now and then, I have a cull of the railway books on my shelves to make space for something new. These three, however, always seem to get the nod for a reprieve. It is hardly surprising, as they were agreed masterpieces of their time.

I was reminded of this as I wandered the platforms at Appleby on the Settle and Carlisle line during a lunch stop en route to the Lake District recently. The plaque commemorating Bishop Eric Treacy, who died at that location in 1978, was partially hidden by scaffolding, as the station buildings undertake further attention.

I leafed through Glory of Steam on our return home and reminded myself of the debt that we owe to him and his contemporaries for helping us to keep the flame of steam alive during the dark days before the preservation movement got its act together. They provided a bridge in time between the “real thing” as we remember it in the 60’s and the magnificent - and still developing - heritage railway provision that we enjoy throughout the country today.


A southbound Class 158 unit pauses at Appleby on the Settle and Carlisle line on 4/11/16.

No comments:

Post a Comment