Tuesday 28 June 2016

Under Suspicion, somewhere on the old LD&ECR


The map showed me the way down to the railway sidings. I found the left turn I needed, a metalled surface but with no signs. Past the last house, which was shown on the map, the road became a track, but it was still easily drivable. Over a bridge that crossed a stream, through an open gate at the end, and I had still not passed any obvious place to park. I knew I was now just onto railway property. The signalman’s car was parked there, as was a white van marked “Network Rail.” There was just enough room for me behind them.



I went to talk to the driver of the van, who was reading a newspaper. I told him why I was there. I had looked on the internet and was expecting one coal train out and one train of empties in during the next half an hour. I asked if it would be OK to leave my car there for a few minutes while I took a couple of photos. He said he could not give me permission, but he didn’t tell me to go, either. We chatted about his job, checking the workings of the mechanical signal boxes along the line. He was based at a location on the main line about ten miles away. His next port of call was the box to the west of this one, but he was in no hurry to get there. He gave me the impression that he did not get on too well with the signalman there. He intended to reduce his visiting time to a surgical strike.



Conversation turned to the advantages of the traditional signalman’s life, which modern technology was in the midst of bringing to an end and which was the real reason I was there – to record it before it disappeared. It was a lovely summer’s day. I had already heard skylarks and yellowhammers and seen tree sparrows, in the few minutes I had been standing there. It was an idyllic rural oasis, yet only minutes away from sizable settlements.



The NR man walked over the tracks to the signalbox. I noticed that the locomotive had now pulled slowly towards me along the siding, so I picked up the camera from my car. The signalman appeared at the door of his box and shouted to me. “Do you mind standing on the other side of your car, please, mate?” “OK,” I replied and I did what I was told. The engine rumbled forward. I took a couple of pictures but the light was wrong to begin with and my newly withdrawn position just about scuppered the whole operation.



NR man returned to his van. He explained that the driver might have reported me as a “near miss,” and if he had, “We’d have had everyone here, swarming around the place.” I murmured something generally compliant and wondered what they had me down as - demonstrator, suicide, terrorist, vandal or metal thief? NR man drove off to forge a meaningful, if short-lived and no doubt a little strained, working arrangement with his colleague in the next box. When the dust settled, I followed him back to civilisation.  



On my way home, I mused over what the signalman in the next box might have said to upset NR man and wondered how that call was going. I also thought about how suspicious these two railwaymen had been of me. Surely, I don’t look like a trouble maker? They were only covering their own backs, I concluded. They were doing their job by the book. I was strictly a trespasser on railway property. It is not just technology that has changed over the years and I’m all in favour of safer working practices, but we seem somehow to have lost something of value alongside such developments. Maybe it is trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment